Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jezza

Pioneer CarPlay

12 posts in this topic

Number 29 wasn't specified with optional the Clarion SatNav, so replacing the standard Subaru head unit was always on my list of things to do. However, whenever I have considered it, there was always a new model just about to come out, so it never got done.

This time it was different, as almost the first question I was asked, instead of the usual "How much do you want to spend" or "How much power do you want", it was 'What phone do you have'?

When I said iPhone, he said you want the new Pioneer SPD-DA120, which is a CarPlay unit. It turns out that CarPlay is Apples next attempt to dominate the world, and it is being builtin as standard by many car brands. Anyway, enough of the advert, on with the pictures.

First the standard old unit (there are probably not many under 20 years old who have ever seen a cassette!)

IMG_2330_zpskthzn5vk.jpg

In with the Pioneer SPH-DA120, for that clean look familiar to Clarion owners (note the unplanned RB logo from the seat):

IMG_2333_zpsueqkao2w.jpg

First order of business, get the switch on splash screen sorted out :good:

IMG_2353_zps8p5gdq7v.jpg

The Apple CarPlay screen, uses the processing power and selected iPhone apps, and Siri for voice control. At the moment Apple is carefully controlling those apps released for CarPlay to those that are non-distracting and under Siri control. It has its own radio, and can play from USB is you don't want to connect the iPhone for a short trip. It can also take a reversing camera if you want one. There are plenty Impreza specific ones available which replace one of the number plate lights for a near invisible fit. eg. http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAM-SU1-Forester-Impreza-Reversing-Reverse/dp/B009R12C0E/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1432841984&sr=8-11&keywords=impreza+reversing+camera

Since it uses Apple Maps, the SatNav does not include speed camera warning, but I am sure that will be sorted soon. Not that any RB320 driver would ever exceed the speed limit :whistlingb:

IMG_2335_zpsufcgniuk.jpg

The lead on the left is the connection for the iPhone, normally it just sits in the glovebox, but I am using it to take the picture.

Installed in less than an hour (including rearview mirror mounted mic), all for £380.

How did u do the splash screen logo ?

Just put anything you want on a USB stick in *.jpg format, and upload it from the settings menu for the splash screen. The background screens can also be customised as well.

Nice, I saw this unit in Halfords a while back, but I'm waiting on the new Parrot system as it's got support for apple or android;

http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/ces-2015-parrot-rnb6-the-most-advanced-in-vehicle-infotainment-system/

It looks like a fantastic system, with dash cam & reversing camera options. It'll just lead to me being more annoyed at our lack of steering wheel controls though!

I changed my head unit to a nice double DIN Alpine unit a few years ago, even just having a single screen looks better!

Total waste of money for me though, it's only been on about 4 times :nea:

This is a beautiful looking unit and one of a few I'd like to replace the Clarion double DIN with. I'm curious to know how you're getting on with it after almost a year.

I'd second the above comments, does look good, but how does it perform Jezza?

It is performing reliably so far, the only real downside has been the incompatibility between the RB320 ride, bumpy roads and a touch screen. There is the minor irritation that the fixed buttons are set up for the left hand drive market, so you have to reach further than your would normally. The Home button can be switched to the right in the settings.

The voice aspects seem to work well, with Siri being able to understand destinations well, but I have a relatively neutral accent. If it does not understand you can still type postcodes and find addresses manually.

The SatNav aspect became more reliable with iOS 9, prior to that I would sometimes get a grid where part of the map should have been, but that disappeared after iOS 9. The main aspects I miss are a GPS speed display, and speed camera warning (not that any RB320 drive would ever exceed the speed limit :whistling:).

Overall it does what I want, but if I was driving to a lot of new destinations, I would probably want a more tradition SatNav unit with Speed and Cameras. I am also surprised that that there have not been any firmware updates in the last year, as I would have expected further development, or more add-ons. If you could get a Garmin car play app, it would be perfect.